An Article from the Football NSW Website (12/12/2011) in which two of our U14 Players featured.
Ian Crook’s NSWIS squad dominated the recent FFA State Institute Challenge in Canberra finishing in top spot as they took on eight fellow institutes from across Australia.
Institutes from South Australia, Football West, Victoria, ACTAS, Queensland, Northern NSW, Northern Territory and Tasmania all took part in Challenge that kicked off on the 5th of December.
NSWIS finished first in the overall standings but lost out to Queensland in the Finals match albeit with eight men due to injuries that occurred during the match.
Four players from the NSWIS squad were selected at the end of the tournament as part of the All-Star side as Martin Lo, Tom Manos, Steve Kuzmanovski and Liam Rose won selection in the side.
Rose grabbed bigger plaudits as he was named the 2011 Player of the Tournament due to his outstanding performances in Canberra.
Crook was delighted with his chargers performances who were also the youngest squad to have taken part in the Challenge.
“Definitely proud of the boys achievements I felt they did very well during the duration of the tournament.
“I know these Challenges aren’t all about winning it’s about creating and playing the right way and developing future players.
“Overall though at the end of the tournament, a table was kept and to have seen the boys come through first was fantastic.
“I know each player has improved and are on the right path.”
Crook’s men will now take a break before they get back into pre-season mode prior to their season commencing in the NSW Under 18’s Super League in 2012.
“We will take a four to five week break before we return for training where we will build towards the start of the competition next year.
“We will continue to work with the players till the end of their scholarships at the end of September next year so all the coaching staff are really looking forward to the job at hand.”
NSWIS Squad 2011/2012
- Alex Frost (Sydney United)
- James Baldacchino (South Coast Wolves)
- Matthew Stewart (Marconi Stallions)
- Boden Allport (South Coast Wolves)
- Kevin Ly (NSWIS)
- Tony Lo (NSWIS)
- Adam Berry (Blacktown City)
- Bai Antoniou (Sydney Olympic)
- Martin Lo (Bankstown City FC)
- Steve Kuzmanovski (Sydney Olympic)
- Anthony Kalik (Manly United)
- Daniel Alessi (Project22)
- Tom Slater (Manly United)
- Mark Rizoski (Marconi Stallions)
- Alexander Gersbach (Sutherland Sharks)
- Jackson Bandiera (Marconi Stallions)
- Liam Rose (Sydney Olympic)
- Aaron Calver (NSWIS)
- Tom Manos (Manly United)
- Head Coach: Ian Crook
- Assistant Coach: Ante Juric
- Assistant Coach: Anthony Crea
-By Mark Stavroulakis