Match Reports – NSW Premier League Semi Finals

12 Boys : Our 12 Boys finished the season in 4th position taking on a Rovers side who finished 6 points clear in 3rd position. Our boys came out on fire leading the more fancied Rovers 3-1 with only 7 minutes remaining but the Vipers fire power proved too much winning in the 6-3 to end our youngest teams season.

Score 3-6

Scorers: A. Monge 3, N. Muskitta 1

12 Girls : The 12 girls wanted to get the clubs semi final series back on track and did exactly that winning in a thriller vs Mascot Vipers. Our girls ended the season undefeated suffering only a draw throughout the season and that was against todays opponents. Our girls came out fighting and sealed a hard fought victory to cement their position in the Grandfinal to be played in 2 weeks.

Score 3-1

Scorers: P. Ibin Isei 2, G. Koutzoumis 1.

14 Boys : Like our 12 Girls the u/14 boys went through the season undefeated by winning each of their 14 games this season. Today would be the 4th time having played Quake this season with us winning our two regular season games 4-2 whilst Quake won the semi final at the state titles. Once again our boys showed on a proper sized court and playing 20 minutes halves which was the better team and we booked our place in to the Grandfinal with another comprehensive victory. Grand final number 2 for the club awaits.

Score 4-3

Scorers: J. Pyne 1, A. Fofanah 1, D. Carreno 1.

14 Girls : Our 14 girls were the 3rd consecutive Minor Premiers and were the 3rd consecutive team in the Grand final with another victory over closest rivals Quake. The girls had two epic battles with Quake during the season and this one wasn’t any easier. The win gave the club our 3rd Grand Final representative.

Score 3-1

Scorers: R. Pollicina 1, N. Nisbet 1 V. Guzman 1.

16 Boys : Our boys had to battle hard to get into the semis and only did so in the last round of the competition with a hard fought victory over Dural but they couldn’t continue that result getting knocked out in the elimination semi final vs Sydney City whom they had beaten twice during the regular season.

Score 2-5

Scorers: M. Duarte 1, B. Brown 1.

16 Girls : The Girls took on the Boomerangs whom they had not beaten this season in their elimination semi final. A brilliant defensive performance from the team kept the Boomerangs goalless and with only 4 minutes to go a piece of Amy Dahdah magic proved the difference sealing a victory against the odds and seeing our girls move only 1 game away from a grand final appearance.

Score 1-0

Scorers: A. Dahdah

Youth : Injuries and suspensions decimated our squad prior to taking on the Vipers and going down 2-0 early surely didn’t help. As valiantly as our boys tried the Vipers just had to many troops and were too good on the day. Unfortunately this result meant our season had come to and end.

Score 3-8

Scorers: A Poniris 2, M. Cimino 1.

Detailed match reports are now included below…

12 Boys

Today it was a wonderful day, nice and sunny. It was do or die semi’s for the Inner West 12 boys.

They were all there, even Gatsby Gray and Brodie Clarkson who were out with injuries. They were there to support the team good on you boys.

It started off great with the boys played excellent Futsal. First half 2 goals came from Adrian (what a goal!). The boys were playing like a team passing the ball around looking for each other, they were all supporting each other and the Inner West boys were 2-0 up.

In the second half Nathan put a nice ball straight through to corner beating the keeper 3-0. After couple of minutes Enfield Rovers came back making the score 3-1 so the boys were even trying harder to stay in the game. The Enfield Rover boys just kept coming back, score 3-2 then they scored another one making it 3-3. Then the whistle blows the game goes into extra time 5 min each way.

The game stayed at 3-3 until the end of the 5 min to go. Our boys just lost track and support of each other the Enfield boys scored making it 3-4 their way then 3-5 then 3-6 the whistle blows game over.

Final score 3-6 Enfield rovers way.

12 Girls

Today saw the girls move into the Grand Final in emphatic style beating the Mascot Vipers in a thrilling game at Dural. Georgia had the crowd off their seats after 14 seconds when she sent a shot across the face of goals, after a barn storming run down the right, that only required a delicate touch at the back post to open the scoring. This was to set the scene for an opening frantic session in which both Bianca and Princess both had good chances spurned.

Angelique delivered our first free kick of the day into the area but it was well blocked by their defence. She was then required to provide a timely tackle of her own to stop a good move by the Vipers. The girls by now started to gain the ascendancy and strung together quite a few handy moves without just reward.

Princess then had a great chance on goal when she drifted in off the right but their keeper made a good double save to deny her the chance. In the 9th minute Georgia made a fine break up court and sent Chiara off down the flank to knock over a fine cross but unfortunately no one read the script and that chance went begging.

On the 10 minute mark Georgia combined well with Dimity, after winning the ball in her own half, to burst up the court. Dimity then threaded the ball through to Georgia who completed the move, by slotting home inside the “D”, giving us a 1-0 lead.

Chiara almost made it 2-0 a minute later after Georgia had sent her through on goal, only to see their keeper make a good save. As often happens we almost paid the price when they broke up court and rattled a shot off our post. Another chance came shortly after when they were awarded a free kick mid way in our half but Dimity put her body on the line and bravely blocked the attempt.

Searching for the equaliser the Vipers had a corner kick to our left and they sent in a low dangerous ball to the “D”. Sheridan looked to have it covered but it took a decisive nick on the way through and fell to the feet of one their players directly in front and less than a metre out. “Tap in” you might well think but somehow Sheridan managed to get the mitts on it before it crossed the line to maintain our slender lead.

With a sniff of a goal insight, the Vipers threw everything at us, as half time drew near but the girls defended resolutely, absorbing the pressure, as both Siena and Marissa made important clearances before the break.

After a minute of the restart Marissa chanced her arm from long range after the keeper cleared a ball from their half but it was just wide of the target. Bianca then sent Princess through on goal but the scrambling defence blocked her attempt. Princess then returned the favour but it was Bianca’s turn to narrowly miss the target this time.

Against the run of play Vipers broke up court with a 2-player overlap and opened their account by putting the ball in the net. Shortly after Princess, seizing on an error by the Vipers, bore down on goal with keeper stranded to the side but their pivot got in a telling tackle to clear the ball of the line when it looked a certain goal.

For the next 2 minutes Princess terrorised the Viper defence, taking out her frustration one time with a stinging shot off the post, catching Georgia unawares in the slips, as it flashed toward her at speed and a rare angle.

With 8 minutes of the half gone, Georgia received a great pass from Princess and made no mistake by slotting the ball home to make 2-1. Dimity was unlucky not score a minute later when she hit one around the post from a corner kick. She then sent a great pass through to Georgia but her attempt was smothered well by their keeper.

On 12 minutes Angelique put a nice ball to Dimity and she turned and passed to Princess, who cleverly put he ball away, making it 3-1. Angelique had an opportunity to put us further in front when she had a free kick well saved to deny her.

With 3 minutes to go the Vipers were pressing hard but Siena cleared a great through ball that had danger all over it. At the other end their keeper denied Chiara, saving well at her feet, when she bore down on goal. With a minute to go Vipers almost pulled one back from a sideline kick in move that had Sheridan stretching to tip over for a corner kick.

On the hooter the girls celebrated in modest style knowing that the job was only half done and second stanza would be played out in 2 weeks for their chance to complete a fine season.

Congratulations again girls, keep working hard over the next 2 weeks and continue to learn and play even better Futsal.

16 Girls

Inner West 16s girls have kept the dream alive by overcoming the Boomerangs 1-0.

The result was built on patience and rock solid defence. The Boomerangs, even though camped in the Inner West defensive zone for the majority of the first half, were clueless as to how to get a shot on goal. Our girls capitalised on some mistimed passes to create a number of opportunities on the counter attack but were denied every time by some very good goalkeeping.

The second half opened up more for Inner West and finally a shot from the base line by Amy was too hot for the keeper to handle and she spilled the ball into the goal at about the 10 minute mark.

The calculated tactics from Coach Robbie were followed by all players to perfection. Next week the team takes on Vipers with the winner off to the grand final against the Rovers.

Vipers remain the only team our girls have failed to beat all season. When they met in the second round the girls lost narrowly. The squad will be strengthened with the return of Sam S from injury and is anticipating matching skills with the Vipers.